Saturday, May 16, 2009

THE ARTIST IN ME









HYDRANGEAS

One warm, lazy afternoon in July of 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia, my friend (Linda)' sister visited Meadow Springs and brought this freshly-cut bouquet of hydrangeas. I was so inspired by it's beauty that I started sketching it, with only a 10-cent 2-B pencil on regular 9" X 12" white paper. This may be just a plain old sketch of those beautiful hydrangeas but the emotions it evokes and the memories surrounding it are precious.



THE SAXOPHONE PLAYER"

24" X 28" sketch/drawing of my friend (Emilia)'s saxophone instructor. He lives in NY. I used charcoal, white gouache (for bright values) and regular black pentel/sharpie pen to SHORTEN drawing time. I finished this in 1 1/2 hours. I spent more time, 5 hours, sketching the smaller version, 
9" X 12" because I only used graphite pencil. I gave the original of the latter to my friend Emilia.



DAVID RAPS

24" X 28" portrait of David Raps, my ex-husband's father, done in charcoal, pencil. I achieved lighter values and whites by using pointed erasers. This was covered in glass, thus the reflection. (University Of Nevada School Of Medicine (UNSOM) Exhibit).




No comments:

Post a Comment