Sunday, July 26, 2009

Still Not Over Michael Crichton's Death By Arlyn M. Valencia, M.D.


NOTE: I reiterate: I wrote this in November 2008. The Obama delusion has since blurred down)


I can't believe I didn't even have a chance to mourn for Michael Crichton. Weird that this politico-legal-media obsessed world didn't even thrive on this "event" even after the global excitement over "rise of a real/legitimate, biethnic, multicultural, with some- real- ASIA- exposure HERO" died down. I was beyond excited/euphoric over Obama's triumph (esp. now, with some promise of economic repair, look at the market today, and with the naming of his economic team and some introduction, too, today of the economic rescue operation--- (couldn't wait for that jolt in economy), BUT then not to give Crichton the mourning he deserves is beyond comprehension.


Well, I still think he's the best doctor-writer even though he went straight to do fellowship in public policy, and his discipline of choice (maybe not first choice) was computer ops/prog, whatever.

STATE OF FEAR is one of the best contemporary books I read in 7 years, it is like a reference book with a complete bibliography on global warming, ecoterrorism, politico-legal-media agenda. I still would have loved to see him debate Al Gore. The latter sort of maligned him in the latter's book AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH, which I had the misfortune of reading maybe 3 times (it was my son's choice for his book report).

Just to think that I thought Crichton was very corny. I had the misfortune of reading his very first novel (was it really his first?): A CASE OF NEED. He even developed a habit of NOT including this novel in his list. For me that novel big-time sucked. And I really think that ER is so made-up.

He wrote ANDROMEDA STRAIN when he was a medical student. How and when did he do that? During his radiology rotation?

TIMELINE was so believable you'd think Crichton time-machined himself to the medieval period.

DISCLOSURE disclosed the malignancy of corporate and human competitiveness.

NEXT had the twists and turns of a DNA molecule.

AIRFRAME proved that benign neglect is an oxymoronic phrase.

THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY robbed me of my belief that there is always an iota of goodness in everyone.

JURASSIC PARK and THE LOST WORLD... well, other people would have a better one-liner to these. But both novels are so imaginative and anxiety-provoking. This was when science scared the living shit out of me.

I guess I'm writing all these because I know nobody would tolerate my mental diarrhea.

I guess this is just my way of quasi-expressing some kind of mourning, albeit disjointedly, over a hero of mine. Too bad my literary love affair with him was just of late.

Arlyn M. Valencia, M.D.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Arlyn,
    This is the last time I wil EVER try to contact you. I'm sorry I was such as asshole making fun of your boyfriend and all. I wish you wouldn't insult me by saying or thinking that I'm stalking you. You know that's silly although I was "unpredictable" on FB. I really have gone on with my life. I kinda wish we could be friends like Jerry and Elaine. Maybe that's not the way it is in real life. But I did consider you my best friend. I've been suffering thinking about Alex. His passing was particuarly tough for me. So if you'd ever wish to contact me you know how. I can't contact you I deleted all of your info so I wouldn't creep you out or anything. You know I can't remember more than two consecutive #'s. I promise you this is the LAST time I'll ever try on my end to talk to you. But I hope you call one day to "check in". You said it would be best for you if I left you alone so consider it done. I didn't like the last thing I said to you so this is a little better. Now the ball's in your court. If you ever want to be my friend again or just talk, I'd love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete